10 July 2012

Knitting Knitting

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but I'm participating in The Loopy Ewe's Camp Loopy this summer.  Each month (June, July, & August) they give us a different challenge and we have one month to complete it & post it to the gallery.  If we complete all 3 challenges on time we'll be eligible for an extra special prize!

June's challenge was to use at least 400 yds to knit up a pattern from a designer who lives in or was born in a different country.  I chose Martina Behm's Hitchhiker scarf & used a beautiful sock yarn from Lorna's Lace in Turtle Rodeo (green, teal blue, purple, & orange).  I love how the colors look in a garter stitch!

Hitchhiker scarf using Lorna's Lace sock yarn in Turtle Rodeo

This month's challenge is to use at least 800 yds using at least one color from our country's flag.  Since I can't wear red, and white & I don't get along, I chose blue.  Normally I go for teal blues so I went out of my comfort zone and picked a true blue.  I cast on a tank top, but quickly changed my mind.  Instead I went with a geometric lace shawl, Hex by Andrea Rangel.  This is my first lace project and my first time using lace weight yarn.  What was I thinking??

It was a struggle to get going, but now that I can see the pattern taking shape I am in love!  And the Malabrigo lace is amazingly soft, I can't wait for autumn when I can start wearing my shawl!

Hex shawl using Malabrigo lace in Azul Profundo

I've also been doing a little gardening.  I got a late start, but I do have a couple things starting to sprout/flower.  :)

Radish sprouts

Alyssum from seed!

I hope everyone has been having a wonderful summer.  It has cooled off just a bit here, and I'm looking forward to having the next 2 days off.  There is lots of knitting and sewing in my near future!

1 comment:

Jacey said...

I can't believe how much progress you've made with your knitting! The Hex Shawl is especially beautiful. Yay, Sharon!