30 July 2015

New Socks and More!

It's only been a few days since Tour de Fleece ended, but my momentum to get things done is still going strong! I am working through my WiPs list and am very happy with my progress so far.

Right before TdF started I cast on a pair of socks for Jake. I used a Crazy Zauberball that the amazing Laura Jane Taylor brought when she came with Jennifer (aka @sugar_stitches) & me to Sewing Summit 2012!

Instead of using a pattern I made a hybrid sock using my favorite elements from other patterns that I've made.
Here's my toe-up formula:
*Judy's Magic Cast On
*Rounded toe from OrangeKnits Rose City Rollers pattern (this was a little tricky because her pattern is cuff down so I had to figure the decreases from 72 stitches, for Jake's wide foot, then reversed it for toe-up)
*Stockinette foot
*Short-row heel from Wendy Johnson's "Socks from the Toe Up"
*Decrease to 64 stitches for a skinnier ankle/leg
*Stockinette leg
*1x1 ribbing
*Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off

He hasn't had a chance to try them on since I finished them, but he did try on the first sock when I was nearing the ribbing and it looks like it'll be a great fit for him!

This week I also scoured, carded, & started to spin up a sample of a fleece that I recently received.



The fleece is a gorgeous rambouillet out of the eastern Oregon/Idaho area. I have a long way to go still, it's nearly 8 pounds & I've only pulled off 5 ounces to sample, but I'm already planning lots of fun things to make from it! First up is a hat & mittens set for Kim, who sent me this beauty!!

And, last but not least, I'm halfway through binding Ruby's rainbow quilt.

It should be done and ready to use by the weekend!

August crafting goals:
Old WiPs
* Finish combing & spin NZ Romney
* Finish Jake's socks
* Bind & label rainbow quilt

New
* Scour, card, & spin a sample of brown fleece from Kim
* Enter yarn or batt into Wyo state fair
* #spin15in15 August challenge - spin a precious (quivit?)

Other August goals (home, family, etc):
* Clean out old Jeep for donation
* Finish reading The Wind Through the Keyhole
* Shred old papers & organize office
* Take Ruby to State Fair
* Go fishing!
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: