09 March 2011

Torrington Chariot Races

The other day I posted on Twitter that we were headed down to Torrington to watch our friends in the chariot races. My Sewing Summit roomie jokingly asked if we saw Sparticus while we were there and I realized that most people have no idea that this is actually a sport in Wyoming and The West.
So here are some pictures to show you what we do for fun around these parts. :)

First they ride past the crowd to show off their horses and their awesome outfits. Love the chicken hat, Dave!

They load up in the gates (see the blue gates in the background) and GO!!!!

And they run!

Sometimes it's too close to call. Good thing for photo finishes.

But by the time they're back from their cool down lap the times are in. It's a short race, only about 24-26 seconds, but it sure is a lot of fun! And see the cowboy in the background? There are outriders in case any of the teams decide to run away.

This was the final race of the day (we were on the other side of the track).

It was a beautiful, snowy winters day in Wyoming and we were glad to be there! :)

***********

In other news, we're back online. Hooray! And there's a sewing circle today at my local quilt shop (LQS) so hopefully I'll have something to share for WIP Wednesday today. But even if I don't you should hop over there for a visit to see what everyone else is working on this week.

5 comments:

Bree said...

Looks like fun!

I can't wait to hear about your LQS, I know you hoped it would be a good one.

Jessica said...

That looks super fun! I didn't know that was something that people still did for fun ;)

Sally said...

Thanks for posting the pics, looks like fun (to watch).

Amy Dingmann said...

I think that looks like a great time! Fun pictures...wish they'd do something like that here. :)

freaked out 'n small said...

That looks like so much fun! That chicken hat is awesome.